11 May 2013

Little Purple Riding Hood

I've been working on this project all week and I've enjoyed every minute spent on it. Sometimes some hand stitching on the couch is just what you need.


Details:
Fleece jacket, based on this Shearling Children's Coat from Burda style 10/2012.



Changes:

  • used fleece instead of shearling.
  • shortened the length.
  • omitted the extra seam in the middle of the front and back pieces. I cut each as one whole piece. 
  • added a pleat to the top of each pocket, and added a decorative button.
  • blanket stitch along the hood, front and bottom edges of jacket, as well as sleeve edges.
  • running stitch details on the pockets.

I love how easy it is to sew with fleece. 
No hemming. No fraying. No worries.

The jacket sews together so easily although as always, Burda's instructions are generally a bit dodgy and I needed to refer to the technical drawing a few times to figure out what they were trying to explain.


More time was spent on the hand stitching which I thought gave the whole jacket a little bit something extra. 
I love the fit of the jacket and really should sew another for my other daughter. 
And one for me too would be nice!



12 comments:

  1. Very cute. I love the blanket stitch, I have traced the pattern for big adult blanket coat from the same issue and was planning blanket stitch around so I think you have given me the inspiration to cut it out and get going. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I have traced a pattern for an adult blanket style coat from the same issue. Planning to blanket stitch round the edge. Thanks for the inspiration to get going. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry thought my 1st comment didn't work. :)

      Delete
    2. Haha no worries ... which number pattern are you thinking? I s till have the mag so I think I will copy #102 but shorten it and use fleece. I loved the blanket stitching - i even tried my daughter's jacket on for a laugh but I want it! ;)

      Delete
  3. This turned out really cute! Great pics, too. You need to make a small one for little brother. Blue & red or something....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Do you think this will work for a boy? Not an overly girly style jacket? I suppose colour makes the difference ... another thing to add to my list!

      Delete
  4. This is really adorable! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is adorable!!!!! It looks great on her and the colour is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maider. I'm biased and think she's adorable too. ;)

      Delete
  6. So cute! I love working with polar fleece. I get the blanket/throw from Ikea for $4.95 because it's so cheap, and they have cute scalloped edges on it to make a cute hemline. Last I made a poncho out of it! Love the fabric of the dress your little one is wearing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacinta, love your name ;)
    Great idea using Ikea throws ... I am hoping to make a cape next as I bought tons of this fleece ... have you posted about your poncho ? love to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete