22 April 2013

Burda Style Inverted Pleat skirt : knit & maternity edition

Talking about fashion for a minute here, I really like wearing skirts. When I put on a skirt I automatically feel 'put together' and special - or I suppose I could call it 'feminine'. 

Whatever it is. The past few months I've made a conscience effort to avoid jeans in particular and wear my large collection of skirts. Now that I'm pregnant (and winter is coming) I really want to keep on with that habit and avoid the comfortable option of pants, but I really need to add a few more maternity options.

Enter the Inverted Pleat Skirt (09/2012) which I can't wait to make and wear post-baby but I just had to attempt a maternity version using some op shop knit from the ol' stash.
Burda Style Inverted Pleat Skirt
09/2012 #116B

This pattern is designed for wovens so retrospectively, I should have sewn this a size up as the knit had little stretch and I did omit the side zip. I added a waistband to the skirt - an attempted yoga waistband which works for now but if I get much bigger in the hips, I really doubt I'll be able to get it on.


Adding a waistband to this skirt makes it sit higher on the waist - so with an expanding belly - I really had to wear the front low.
{apologies for the flash across the photos!}
I'm pleased with how it's turned out regardless and definitely want to make this again in a woven fabric - I think it would be a great staple!

Have you modified any "normal" patterns into maternity before?

8 comments:

  1. That inverted pleat is super sassy! Nice thinking with the yoga band :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend vogue 1027! It's more suited for spring/summer however wool jersey should keep you warm with a cardi.
    As your in Melbourne area, would you like to borrow my maternity patterns, I can post them to you. I didn't make the wrapped top by megan neilsen as it got too cold too late and with 10 days to go, I'm not making anything more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously Kat?! That is awesome of you. I'd love to see what maternity patterns you have. Drop me a line at my blog email and will be in touch. Thanks. :) modelmumma(at)gmail (dot)com

      Delete
  3. Yey you made it well done. The special waistband sounds like a great plan. It should stop wintery winds getting to your bump too! The top of the pleat on mine has started to tear. Its now in my pile so that I can add a bit of reinforcement there. I'm thinking to sew a small triangle over it. It might not be a prob in stretchy jersey though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I loved your version, I'm so glad I had the right Burda mag from the library to make my own. Good idea about reinforcing the top of the pleat, I must remember to do that for my next woven version. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Very nice skirt! Good job making it maternity. I think I made a few maternity tops but no pants or skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maternity pants would be horrid... only because everyone's bumps sit differently and I am low so I bet the crotch would be hanging low too - rapper style! haha. Cheers again. xo

      Delete