22 October 2012

Alma #2

I made Alma attempt #2 about a month ago but have had no chance to wear or even share it here. 
After some encouragement from fellow bloggers about playing around with sizing and dart placement until I was happy, I decided to do just that. 


I am using cheap fabric sourced from op shops until I'm happy with the fit and then will go for gold with the good stuff. As I'm new to the whole apparel sewing, I really want to get it right before I splurge on quality fabrics. Plus if I stuff it up, it isn't so bad!


I made View B but don't like the sleeve length on me, so I folded them up until I was happy with the length and made some tabs to hold them in place. I also added some bronze coloured buttons.


I suppose I should have just chopped off the sleeve and hemmed instead.

More adjusting to do though.
I have to move the bust dart lower. Adjust for a sway back. Figure out a better fit for my shoulders.

Second thoughts about sewing for myself are constant..... is it worth it?
Am I just finding it hard because it is a slow process to learn all the techniques, not to mention my limited amount of sewing time to begin with?

The quest continues.....

First Sewaholic Alma attempt here.

13 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! Alma #2 looks lovely. And I am with you on using fabric sourced from op shops or (as in my case) remnant bins until I feel more confident with my skills. Of course, I've found some beautiful fabric (deep red silk linen!) which I'm too afraid to cut into ... have to get over that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Oanh! I got my sis-in-law to buy some Liberty fabric this year for me but there is no way I'll be cutting into that until I'm 100% confident in the pattern fit and my sewing skills! :)

      Delete
  2. I really like the rolled sleeves and tabs on this! Plus the fabric is cute and summery :D Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Amanda! Looking forward to some summer weather. :)

      Delete
  3. It looks cute and neat! I have envy for your patience... I cut the fabric and then I think, I have only sewed a couple of muslins in my sewing life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Masustak.... I think I have to be patient because I'd be so mad if I ruined expensive fabric! :)

      Delete
  4. I like the tabs too, better than if you had just hemmed - little details like that make it nice. Dumb northern hemisphere question: what is an op shop? Is it only fabrics? Or...other stuff too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question Adrienne... it's Australia's name for a thrift store. All the items are donated and it's usually run by a charity like the Salvos or St Vincent De Paul etc.

      Delete
  5. Very cute! I believe it is definitely worth sewing for yourself (obviously ;) ) you are no doubt very busy with your 3 little ones now but they won't always take up so much of your time! My only thoughts about that alma blouse pattern is that the collar does not meet in the middle; if it were me I would HAVE to alter that. I really love your sleeve cuffs with the tab and the rolled up hems; a very lovely detail. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reassurance Cazza... I know you've been there, done that and you've made it through with great skills and clothes. AND your daughter sews too. I'd love for my girls to be into sewing and we all hang out sewing clothes and chat & giggle together... LOL!
      Oh and I totally didn't realise my collars don't meet in the middle! I haven't even noticed til then and I checked the pattern drawing and derr, they meet! Oh well. I don't mind this time. ;)

      Delete
  6. I think the button tabs were a much better idea than chopping the sleeves. The top is really cute! :) I'm impressed by your dedication to get the pattern right... muslins are something I really should do more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the tabs are cute. And if you are fussed about the collar not meeting in the middle - pop some buttons into the gap as a feature :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I've been wanting to sew a top with a peter pan collar for a while now. I think I need to move that project further up on my to-do list! Such sweet fabric too :)
    Consider me your newest follower from Cass Can Sew ;-)

    ReplyDelete