26 August 2012

Wiksten's Tulip Skirt


Pattern: Wiksten Tulip Skirt.
Fabric: Op shop.

This is a skirt I've had bookmarked for a while... yes, a looooong time .... I couldn't get a hold of the Stitch Magazine that featured the pattern. Until now. It's available for download here. And if you're lucky you could get it discounted if you google for a discount code. Worth a try peoples.


The original Wiksten pattern has a waist tie which I omitted because I usually don't wear high waisted skirts with a top tucked in. If it had the tie then I wouldn't be able to wear a top over the err... top. 

I was going to add two buttons on the waistband. With a rainbow of buttons too which I'm afraid was a baaaad late night decision. Luckily the next morning I reconsidered, emailed pics to a few friends and got some good feedback on my new button choice. Thank goodness for friends on the other side of the world huh.

YIKES 80's flashback!

The waistband has two hook and eyes as per the pattern. 
I would recommend lining the skirt if a) your fabric is sheer and b) your fabric sticks to your tights and c) just line the skirt ok? 


I love the back of the skirt. It skims nicely because the fabric has just the right amount of stiffness. 
I feel like it sits too far up than I'm comfortable with, so next time I will make it a size up so that it sits lower on my waist. I will add some length too. 


The fabric was an op shop find... about six lovely metres of it. Happy face.

Next project is Sewaholic's Alma blouse!!!

14 comments:

  1. Cute! And I like your final buttons too. I picked up about 9m of fabrics for $9 last week at op shops, including 2m of denim for $2!!
    Looking forward to seeing your Alma...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! How awesome are op shops for fabric - can't beat discount fabric. I'm starting my Alma now... :D

      Delete
  2. You are so clever.... and how amazing do you look! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach, sweet of you to say. :)

      Delete
  3. That is such a pretty skirt. I love the buttons going up the front :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice...but I must admit thank goodness you changed the buttons! It's dramatic the difference, really does show how the little details make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree .... amazing how big of a difference something like changing buttons can make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivian12:15 PM

    Yay buttons. :wink wink:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the outfit! Nice skirt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great skirt!! I really love how you've styled it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I'm making this skirt at the moment and I'm lining it. It took some figuring out with the placket and all but I hope I've got it! I'm adding the ties but making them far longer - they were way too short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to line it Katy. Look forward to seeing your version. :)

      Delete